The latest update to the Carnegie brick factory in Missouri has added a new exterior wall and a new entrance to the building.
The building is located on the north side of the city, and is currently home to a manufacturing operation called Steel City.
It’s one of the first brick factories to be upgraded to the National Icon designation.
The new exterior and interior were built to “provide enhanced visibility, comfort, and safety,” according to a statement from the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs.
The installation, according to the department, “reflects the legacy of Steel City and is a major milestone in the history of the brick factory.”
The brick factory was built by John L. Cusick in 1899.
It was then used as a car factory before being turned into a brick factory by Joseph L. Biddle Jr., who operated the building until his death in 1960.
Bidders for the building at the time were offered the brick-making facility for $25,000.
A total of 3,800 brick and mortar workers and laborers were employed at the building, according, according the Chicago Tribune.
The Chicago Department’s statement adds that the project will be “a lasting monument to the history and achievements of the Carnegie Brick Factory.”
The building, which was formerly known as the Steel City Brick Factory, was purchased by the Chicago Board of Trade in the early 1950s.
A number of other historic brick buildings have also been upgraded.
Among them is the old Chicago Bank building at 100 West Broadway in Chicago.
The bank was built in 1894 and is now home to the United States Postal Service, according WGN.