By TIMOTHY CLARY, Associated PressThe owner of a brick factory in Nepal’s Nepali capital has been fined for the death of workers who died in a fire that destroyed the building.
Nepal’s Health Ministry said on Wednesday the building’s owner, Suresh Patel, was fined 1,000 Nepali rupees ($14) and ordered to pay a compensation of 2,000 rupees to each of the two deceased workers, who were both aged 18.
The deaths of the young Nepali workers and the fire were blamed on faulty electrical wiring, according to the ministry.
A local television channel reported that workers were trying to break a wire with a hammer and then fell in a blaze, with the owner allegedly helping them escape from the building before the fire spread.
It was not immediately clear how the two died.
The blaze that engulfed the building was reported to have started in the early hours of March 4 and was being investigated by the fire department.
Patel said in a statement to the state-run Kathmandu Post newspaper that he was shocked and saddened to learn about the deaths and that the fire had been under control for the past 48 hours.